Monday, July 30, 2012

Sensory Tub - The Human Body

The idea for this tub comes from one of my lovely readers, Mary, who reached out all the way from Thailand! (LOVE how connected we all are!) Mary asked me for some ideas for a human body sensory tub and I thought - why not make one for James? Next to geography and space, James is fascinated with human anatomy. Thank you, Mary for inspiring me!

Now, I know this isn't the prettiest looking thing, but it is all about human insides, so... :)

Here's what's inside: (bear with me, I had to creative on this one! Biology teachers will cringe, I'm sure!)
:: Kidneys - Kidney beans :D
:: Eyes - googly eyes
:: Small intestines - pink yarn (12 feet of it which is, according to Google, the length of a child's small intestine.
:: Heart - wooden heart
:: Veins - red and blue pipe cleaners
:: Blood cells - red and white flat marbles
:: Bladder - balloon loosely filled with water (HUGE hit with James!)
:: Teeth - wind up toy shaped like teeth
:: Hands - buttons shaped like hands
:: Skeleton - plastic skeleton (and book - see below - both from our Halloween mini unit)
:: Chromosomes - LOTS of x's and y's from my scrapbooking embellishments. I included 15 matching sets, each set has only one x and one y. Next to the bladder, these were James' favorites. He really enjoyed searching through all the kidneys for the "croomzooms". :)

A couple things also included, but not pictured (because I added them later and was too lazy to reshoot):
:: Stomach - balloon filled with beads
:: Surgical tools - tweezers, tongs, and a small bowl

In addition to the sensory tub, we've been looking through our favorite anatomy books (this one and this one), and I decided to pull out this felt pack, too. James also received this awesome "squishy human body" for Christmas and so we've been having fun with that as well.

Click the button below to see a full list of my sensory tubs or click here to view my slideshow on the Counting Coconuts Facebook page.


~Thank you for your comments!~

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously creative and awesome sensory tub!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my mercy, genius!! Loving these ideas - so fun!

Kate said...

I love this idea for a sensory tub! I am going to have to try this!
Kate
http://funinecse.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Excellent! And very timely for me as we are doing the human body starting in September! Thank you... I am going to flatter you by imitating this exactly. ;o)

Ludicrous Mama said...

Teehee. "Pre-cut human body" takes on a whole new meaning without the context. As does "Human Body Sensory Tub"!

Dawn said...

I love this sensory tub! It looks great. What a wonderful idea.
Blessings, Dawn

Eddie said...

I LOVE this! I'm bookmarking it for our kindergarten human body unit this fall. Thanks for sharing!

myscrawls said...

Amazing!! Brilliant idea! Will try this.

Gabrielle said...

This is SO creative! My 1st grader is into everything anatomy/doctor these days. He'll love it!

Amber H said...

This is wonderful and even my Physician Assistant husband approves!

Anonymous said...

Love the Little Folks Human Body! Hadn't heard of this brand before.

Deb Chitwood said...

What a great idea for a sensory tub, Mari-Ann! I love skeleton activities before Halloween, and this would be lots of fun for a skeleton unit! I featured your photo and post in my Montessori-Inspired Skeleton Unit at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/10/22/montessori-monday-montessori-inspired-skeleton-unit/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails