Wednesday, July 11, 2012

DIY Trash Bag for the Car

I have been on this huge organizational kick lately - cleaning out drawers, closets, cupboards, you name it! As I was cleaning out our car the other day, I noticed bits of trash (and gooey used gum!) here and there and I realized I really needed to come up with an easy way for all of us to properly dispose of our rubbish. After a quick inspirational search on Pinterest, this is what I came up with...

Using some fabric leftover from another project, I hand stitched a basic pouch, and attached a bit of ribbon and a couple flowers to it (hey - just because it's a trash bag, doesn't mean it can't be pretty, right?!). I wanted something that could be reusable so I sized the pouch to fit around a brown paper lunch bag. When it's full I'll simply remove the paper bag, toss into our regular trash bin, and then insert a new paper bag into the fabric pouch. Easy peasy!

Here it is in action. (You'll kindly ignore all the beach sand in my car!) You can see the ribbon loop hangs around the drive shaft. It's very handy and - best of all - keeps the trash OFF of the floors (and doors!). I made a second one to hang off of the back of the passenger seat which is in front of James' car seat.

I whipped this together in about 30 minutes, though I expect someone with a sewing machine could do it in about 10. I totally eye-balled this project, so I'm afraid I have no dimensions/measurements to share.

~Thank you for your comments!~

7 comments:

transoks said...

Great idea!

Pretty Things by Laura H said...

ADORABLE!

Me and my chickadees said...

Awesome! What a fabulous idea, especially the brown paper bag insert!

Mummyzilla said...

Great idea. Much classier than a plastic bag draped over the gear stick.

The girl who painted trees said...

Great idea. I have been looking to organize the car. This will be a good start. Thanks!

Aimée said...

I love it Mari-Ann! Will have to put one of these together! I do agree rubbish bags can be oh so pretty too!!

PeachyGirl said...

I love this! Thanks for sharing! And thanks for returning your blog to it's old format. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails