Monday, June 28, 2010

July Sensory Tub & Playdough - Red, White & Blue

Ok, I'm jumping ahead a bit by posting this in June, but I never got around to making a June tub and this one is actually themed for the 4th of July, so there you go. :)

Sensory Tub
This was a bit hard to photograph because there are so many sparkly light reflective things in this tub!

Here's what's inside:
:: LOTS of red and blue pony beads
:: White star-shaped beads
:: Red, white and blue puffs
:: Tiny red, white and blue flowers
:: Sparkly red, white and blue chenille sticks twisted around one another to look like fireworks. Hubs tells me they look like fireworks, but I wonder if they look a bit more like patriotic spiders?
:: Bits of the chenille sticks cut up into 1" pieces
:: Containers - one for pouring and one for collecting
:: A spoon for scooping

James was SO excited about this tub!! He reaaaallly liked the "fireworks" and kept holding them up and saying "BOOM!"

Playdough
I wasn't able to get the dark blue and red I was aiming for, but it's all good. :) The white ball has red, white and blue glitter mixed into it.

This is the recipe I use for the playdough. Be sure to keep your homemade dough sealed in an airtight container and kept in the refrigerator. Sadly, we can only play with ours for 30 minutes at a time. Beyond that and it starts to get gooey thanks to the humidity.

**PS: Don't forget to enter my Alphabet Box giveaway going on until 6/29!!**

16 comments:

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

What a beautiful sensory tub and doh, lucky James :)

Kylie said...

That tub is just gorgeous. I can use it for Australia Day since we have the same colours, fabulous! You are so good with doing htese every month. :)

Christy Killoran said...

WE made a 4th of July sensory box too. I love the fireworks in yours! We plan on making white and blue play dough this week. We made red Kool Aid play dough last week.

Cara said...

The sensory tub is amazing, especially the fireworks! I've fallen behind on my monthly sensory tubs, but I was hoping to get a July one put together soon!

I think your playdough looks great too, and the red and blue are plenty vivid. I can also really see the glitter in the white playdough...so pretty!

Susana said...

Love this Mary Anne, as always! Hope you and your family are doing well!

Unknown said...

Hi there!

New follower!

I would love if you would come and visit my blog and become a new follower :)

I love all of your projects and can't wait to start implementing some of them with my little one!

Have a great day!

Melanie
Going Green with Noah
www.jonathanandmelanie.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

oo my word that tub is amazing!! What a fun sensory experience! Love the playdough too.. I'm going to make a new batch this week!

Insightful Brain said...

These are wonderful ideas... sensory is an area where I lack creative ideas. Yours are so wonderful.

Rebecca said...

Once again, an awesome bin!! I always look forward to seeing your sensory bins! And i use that same playdoh recipe- its the best!

Mama Mandy said...

Ooo, I need to go shopping & make one really fast before the 4th of July gets here! Great idea! =)

kathy said...

The tub looks like so much fun... for bright colors of playdough you need to use tempera powder instead off food coloring. I wrote a post about it if you are interested:
http://polwig.com/kids/play-dough-ii-primary-colors/

Ariella said...

Your sensory bins are always so fun and pretty looking! I really should make one for my kids sometime!

Play for Life said...

What a lovely sensory tub and visually stimulating as well. My kinder children would love this one!
Donna :) :)

Jen said...

I always look forward to seeing your tubs, they are SO BEAUTIFUL! The playdough is great too and I agree with Cara, its plenty colorful. Great job!

Zonnah said...

Very cool tub!

Ludicrous Mama said...

We discovered this by accident at preschool, but now I use it at home. I keep a bowl of flour out when she plays with her home-made play-dough, so when it starts getting too sticky, she can flour the play mat she's working on and her hands and keep going. (At our co-op preschool, each month someone makes a new batch of dough. So at the first day with a new month's dough, we happened to have flour in the sensory table. The kids had a wild time going back and forth, and the extra flour kept the dough manageable!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails